In this unprecedented time, it is easy to focus on what we can’t do versus what we can. Practicing social distancing and quarantining higher risk populations are the first steps in staying healthy, but there is a multitude of wellness activities we can all implement.
HYGEINE helps prevent the spread of the coronavirus and other germs. Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds throughout the day, especially when returning from outside your home. Regularly disinfect high-touch areas in your home.
SLEEP helps your body recharge, heal and keep its natural defenses up. Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep per night.
NUTRIENTS from a well-rounded diet support a healthy immune system! Eat the rainbow: colorful fruits, dark leafy veggies, whole grain carbohydrates and lots of healthy fats.
- Limited access to fresh fruits and veggies? Smoothies are key! Stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables to blend together with your favorite protein powder, chia seeds and milk or milk alternative. Tip: you can even freeze kale and other super greens for added benefit.
- Revisit your spice cabinet. Ingredients like turmeric and cinnamon have amazing health benefits, from anti-inflammatory properties to balancing blood sugar levels.
- Freezer-friendly meats are very versatile. Thaw one item at a time and get creative with your recipes. Healthy, hearty chili and broth-heavy soups are as nutritious as they are comforting!
ACTIVITY keeps your spirits and immune system up! A body in motion stays in motion. It is easy to fall into sluggishness when we are stuck at home, so start seeing your home differently.
- Go for long walks outside
- Work on floor exercises for core strength and stability
- Practice yoga and active stretching
- No weights? No problem: perform high reps of air squats, push-ups, jumping jacks and lunges
MEDITATION resets the mind and keeps stress levels at a minimum. Tune into helpful meditation apps or podcasts for a guided experience or take in a few minutes of silence and deep breathing every day.
- Tip: count your breaths. Practice inhaling through your nose for 4 seconds, holding it for 4 seconds, and exhaling for 6 seconds. Repeat for a few minutes while focusing on relaxing your neck, jaw and shoulder muscles.
- Meditation doesn’t have to be done sitting still! Take time each day to set goals for yourself whether with your health and fitness, finances, home organization or spending time as a family.
SUPPLEMENTS help fortify your body against illness and disease, especially when paired with a well-rounded, overall healthy diet and exercise plan.
- Immune support: Vitamin C (1000mg per day), Zinc Citrate, Vitamin A Palmitate
- Bone strength: Vitamin D3-5000 with K2
- Probiotics: Spore Probiotic or Bacilis Subtilis
- Heart and joint health: Fish Oil / Omega 3s (2-3,000 mg per day)